Thursday, April 12, 2007

Legacy

Somehow, on Monday, there was a lot of talk about ‘legacy’. It started at work. We were having a very in depth discussion at work over lunch that touched on topics of religion, democracy, capitalism, social freedom, and the afterlife. At one point, the question was posed, ‘How would the world be different if no one believed that there was an afterlife? What if the life you get here on Earth is the only one and you don’t get a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th chance? Would people focus more on what kind of legacy they left behind? What if the only way for your soul to live on is in the hearts and memories of the people you touch in this life? That evening, I was talking with Meredith and we also briefly discussed the concept of legacy and what that might mean. Is it tied to procreation and the continuation of your genes, values or ideals? What does a monetary legacy mean? Do you need to leave something behind that can be passed on to your children?

I’ve had two interesting emails this week from some friends that I haven’t seen in a really long time that might give me a hint about what kind of legacy I’ll be leaving behind. The first was from a fellow who I performed with in 42nd street with the Yorkies back in 2004. I have to admit (sorry Greg!) that it actually took me a bit of time to remember who Greg was. I have a bad memory about these kinds of things. Greg reminded me of a story, still passed on to this day, wherein I had the fastest quick change of all time. I think I had about 2 or 3 bars of music to change from shorts and a button-up shirt to a skirt and feather bra. Well, Greg, sweet as he is, helped me make that costume change – bravely standing backstage and holding up my bra for me while I whipped off my shirt to change (every single performance)! Oh dear. This will be my moment of infamy, apparently.

The second message was from a fellow that I knew in undergrad. He directed SkuleNite (An Engineering Musical Comedy Revue) this past year. SkuleNite is the show where engineers write, direct, produce, and perform in a comedy sketches that also include music and dancing (which most often only add to the hilarity). I was involved with SkuleNite for a few years of my undergraduate career, primarily as a choreographer. I did dance for them once, in just one number, just for fun. In any regard, my friend the director tells me, and I have confirmed from other sources, that the term “Becky-face” is still alive and used well even currently during show run-throughs and notes. “Becky-face” is the eponymous term derived (I believe) in 1997 by Eric Moncrieff and is meant to describe that most cheesy of elated Broadway smiles best demonstrated by (ahem) myself. The term is often used in a directive and meant for inspiration: “Where’s your Becky-face?” or “Dave, you need more Becky-face in that tap number!” There are people out there who use the term “Becky-face” who don’t actually know “Becky”. This might be my moment of honour.

Talk to you soon,

B.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I remember preening like a proud papa the first time I heard someone who I didn't know use the monicker "the Pit" when referring to where Becky, Karen and Kristin lived (I chose alphabetical order here to avoid squabbles!)

I think that is my legacy, both the honourific and the infamism!

Kern said...

Although there's a "u" in the British spelling of "honour", I don't believe there is one in "honorific".

It's clear that my legacy will be something extraordinarily pedantic. :)

Kevin said...

It does look wrong now that I look at it. I've found that unless my fingers detect a spelling error (really, a typo), I don't notice.

-Kevin

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of the term "Becky Face". It's so very meaningful and succinct. I think of it all the time when I want to remind myself to be as over-the-top as possible in a given performing situation.

"What would Becky's face do?"