Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bellies like watermelons

It's official: nearly everyone I know is pregnant. Ok. I’m being hyperbole-icious. But really - it’s crazy. Pregnancy is more popular among friends and family this year than it’s ever been in any year prior. It’s even more popular than getting married ever was. Right now, at this very moment, there are 8 people I know who are pregnant (as far as I know). And I’m not even reaching here. These aren’t people like ‘my mum’s friends’ daughter’ or anything like that. These are people I like, people I care about, people close enough to me that I’m going to want to knit or sew something for their baby. All 8 babies! Oh my gosh.

It started to be obvious at Karen and Dion’s baby shower (which I’m still not talking about ‘til I get pictures of the quilt). There were 4, I think, 4 pregnant women including Karen. One of those women I don’t know that well, so I’m not even including her in my 8. Not to mention that the room was lousy with kids. There were kids taking naps, kids doing magic tricks, dancing kids, crawling kids, kids throwing snowballs. {As an aside - Really and truly the most perfect way to signal and celebrate the coming of a new child is to have a baby shower where kids are invited. The energy they bring is just awesome and it really feels like a celebration of children and childhood lemme tell ya}.

I have to admit, that I’m privy to some pregnancy information that is not quite yet public knowledge, so I can’t actually list everyone. But I do want to say, if I haven’t already and publicly to Karen and Dion, Nate and Shana, Dan and Carolyn, Liz and Tim, Jenny and Terry, Dean and Shannon, and the rest of you (you know who you are)*:

CONGRATULATIONS! I’ll knit as fast as I can but no promises. I still haven’t finished Nathan’s gift and he’s 8 months old now!

If there's anyone else out there who's got any big news that I haven't heard yet - better speak up fast and get yourself on the sweater list! Ok, well perhaps it'll just be socks or something...

Talk to you soon,

B.

* pregnant couples listed in order of due date from earliest to latest

5 comments:

Rob said...

i really shouldn't have to add this comment, but for those of you who are prone to jumping to the wrong conclusions, or like to make jokes pretending that you've jumped to the wrong conclusion (i'm looking at you kevin), the "pregnancy information that is not quite yet public knowledge" does not concern rebecca (or myself)

Anonymous said...

Rob spoiled your parents curiousity too!!!
By the way if I ever have the opportunity to run into any of your friends, believe me, I certainly will run the other way. They must think I am a monster - didn't think I was that bad.

Kevin said...

I think you probably miscounted Rebecca. While, it may look it at times, I am not pregnant... and that's no secret!

Karen Lew said...

like watermelons!? I think mine is more like half a watermelon, sliced the long way.

BTW. I had my second incident of unauthorised belly-touching today. I think word is out that this is a faux pas. The offender half-apologised immediately. I also had my third incident of belly touching something unexpectedly (the opening door to a bathroom stall).

Anonymous said...

I must admit I initially misread the opening line as "It's official: nearly everyone knows I am pregnant."

Being the Year of the Pig, Chinese folklore claims that this is a great year to have babies. Our florist even told us not to worry about booking her so far in advance because everyone had already gotten married last year so that they could have their babies this year.