Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oh Dear!

Kevin was noting that he's having trouble keep tabs on me given that I haven't updated my blog in over a month. It's true -- I've been neglecting him. Poor Kevin! In the interest of helping him out, I thought I should write a little something. Actually, I've been meaning to update for a while.

As always, I'm keeping up a pleasant pace for myself -- part of the reason for the delay in writing. And -- while I don't really make New Year's resolutions -- I did make a promise to myself that 2006 would be less sedintary and more action packed than 2005. The feeling that has been overriding my past couple of months is that of "do it while you still can". I feel very strongly that I want to make the most of every opportunity -- live life to the fullest. I think the subtext is "before the time comes when the opportunities are no longer there". So I wonder -- is this my midlife crisis? Hopefully not. Hopefully just the gentle reminder - carpe diem!

To that end, I've been tired of not seeing improvement in my dance performance. I'd like to be getting better, not flatline-ing or even (ack!) getting worse. So, I'm still working with PushPull on Thursday and Sunday nights but I've also been taking class on Wednesdays and trying to fit in a bit of salsa when I can (usually Monday nights or Saturday afternoons). Last weekend I went to a swing aerials workshop where I learned some really cool flips and throws. I'm sure you understand that I was the one being flipped and thrown and not the alternative. Jonas (a longt-time friend of Kelly's) was my partner and HE WAS FANTASTIC. There are all sorts of terrible turns of phrase that could be said here -- like how comforting it is to have a strong capable man underneath you -- but I'm married and that would be inappropriate. So instead, I'll just say that Jonas made the experience extremely fun and I had absolutely no fear of landing on my head from a great height. I'm hoping to teach Rob the moves so that I can show you what I learned.

I'm also choreographing for PushPull and am so far pleased with the result. The tap piece is turning out nicely. It's extremely unusual for me to be proud of my choreography, so this is kind of a rare moment. The last time I worked on a piece that I was proud of, it caused such a stir that my mum would barely talk to me after she saw it. Hopefully, I won't be drawing that kind of reaction this time. My tap piece is defintely a fun, lively one. My modern piece is a bit more serious but hopefully warm and comforting feelings will come from it. Most of my creative energy is being put into these right now which is not leaving too much room for knitting, sadly.

Rob and I have been hitting the town a little more these days too. Since Christmas we went to see "Humble Boy" which was an amazing play at the Tarragon Theatre. We really liked the writing -- very witty dialogue while still maintaining a real quality -- unlike much of television and stage these days. In fact, quite different than GG (even though we still watch religiously). We got to see Munich, Steven Spielberg's "controversial" movie. I loved it!! Had to cover my eyes more than a couple of times but found the film really compelling and emotionally exhausting. Then, last week, we enjoyed a Winterlicious dinner at Bloom restaurant. Easily the best food I've eaten in -- oh, let's see --- maybe 2 years? Wow. Great wine too. We'd like to go back but can only really afford it once every two years! Hee hee.

Well -- those are the highlights. A bit like an action flick I guess -- all the fun parts without any messy emotional stuff. I'll try to write more frequently so that the updates are a little more "becky" and not so "cliff notes".

Talk to you soon,

B.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have also had some of those "do it while you can" moments. Like a few months ago after a jr boys vball game when Daniel and Luka were hanging around to serve. So I stayed and worked on jump serving. not quite as ridiculous as I though it would be but not very good either.