Tuesday, August 23, 2005

A Tough Day with Bossman

-----Edited Post--------

A bit of a disappointing day at work. I felt a bit unappreciated. I think Bossman feels that I don't spend enough time applying my brain to my work. Perhaps, too much time applying my brain to my various pursuits. I guess I can kind of understand his perspective. I mean, he owns this company and spends every waking moment thinking about it and worrying about it. It's his baby. And he's left it in our hands. I guess that he would hope that we'd all think about it every one of our waking minutes. I guess we just don't see eye to eye.

In crafty news: I saw a woman at the Starbucks this morning wearing a denim long-sleeve dress, with tights and knee-high boots. It was clear to me that this was a _fall_ outfit. Let me remind you that it's still August. At first I was in denial. Then I remembered that I need a new pair of knee-high boots. And then I thought that what I really need for fall is this. And then I remembered that I've started my Christmas knitting. I'll let that sink in for a minute. I've started my Christmas knitting. More on that later.

Talk to you soon,
B.

4 comments:

Kern said...

I would guess that he objects to things like knitting and baking as pastimes for idle people. I think that for a lot of men, this sort of pastime has the image of being passive, time-killing work; the kind of thing that (stereotypically) housewives do because they have nothing better to do with their time.

Or maybe he just sees them as really "girly" and it makes him uncomfortable. Like if you spent lunch talking about tampons. :)

Either why, it reeks of chauvinism. I can only imagine how much stronger his reaction would be if it was two men discussing knitting and baking!

Anecdotal aside: When I was a kid, my dad gave me $20 for a book fair. He was pissed off when I came back and half the books I got were cookbooks. He yelled at me. He expected me to buy "real" books or he never would have given me the money.

Karen Lew said...

Kern, if I gave you $20, would you promise to buy yourself some cookbooks?

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the perspective Kern. It's good to get some other input.

Also, I'm going to change it so that you can leave comments without having to have a blogger account.

But is it really a "cook"book if it's sushi? What about salad? :)

b.

Kern said...

K&D:
Oh I've got cookbooks. Even bought some here in Japan. Buying books makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Actually learning from them seems unnecessary and excessive.

Bex:
Sushi takes more prep than some people think. You're supposed to put something in the rice (some kind of vinegar I think) and... uh... well I think that's it.

Making salad takes at least as much effort as making an omelette, and more than making pancakes, so while it's probably not technically "cooking" (I think that absolutely requires heat), it IS something you're not likely to catch me doing.

And making dressing is absolutely out of the question.