Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Where Was I?

In response to Kern's question from yesterday, here's my answer:

On January 20, 2009 from 11:30 - 12:30 pm, I was sitting in the board room at work watching streamed video from www.cnn.com projected from the laptop and projector onto our presentation screen. The coverage was choppy and the resolution was kind of poor. I suspect that when Clare gets older, this idea of streaming video and watching it as we did will be super old school and that it will appear to her as seeing old images of families huddled around a fuzzy black and white television to watch the moon landing appear to me now. At one point, we got desperate and streamed audio from www.cbc.ca (since it was appropriately time delayed and wasn't at all choppy) and watched the CNN video more as a slide show that accompanied the 'radio' we were listening to.

It was a small crowd of 7, the entire company. I'm sure watching as part of a large group would have had a bigger emotional effect, but I enjoyed sharing the moment with some of my coworkers. These were the same people who watched CNN with me on September 11, 2001.

I enjoyed the ceremony and his speech. I am extremely curious to see what comes next and a little worried for her. I kept thinking about how hard it must be to share your husband with an entire country, effectively giving him away and giving her life away for the next 8(?) years.

Talk to you soon,

B.

No comments: