Monday, July 17, 2006

Freaky

The weirdest thing came up yesterday and it's been bothering me ever since. I'm not sure how much public or really specific I want to say because I don't want to end up calling the wrong kind of attention. But I wanted to say something about it to you guys who check here and read what I've been up to.

So, the story goes like this (and if you know me well enough, I think you'll mostly know what I'm talking about):

I was speaking with someone I know who's job is in the legal/law enforcement profession about some volunteer work this person did when they were in school. I find talking over these kinds of things really, really fascinating. So, the volunteer work that was done involved interacting regularly with convicts. As a result of the work, there were a couple of convicts that my colleague got to know better than others. I was asking about this one particular convict that this person had spoken of more often than the others and was wondering what his story was. As my colleague revealed some of the details (no confidential information was exchanged) I realized that I actually knew of this convict. He killed a girl in my class.

I feel kind of freaked out a bit. Obviously, my colleague hadn't put it all together that I would have known this person and I think felt bad that it upset me. Even now, thinking about it makes me really upset. I didn't expect to have such an strong emotional response - but man - it's been really bothering me all day.

When I got home last night, I read through my yearbook from that year and called someone from home to talk.

It's just kinda crazy to me.

(and hey - if you know any of the people I might be referring to, please don't post any comments with anyone's name, k?)

Talk to you soon,

B.

1 comment:

Kern said...

It's hard to imagine how that would feel, but I'm guessing it would leave some lingering ill-ease with most people.

When we lock people away, I think it's comfortable to pretend that they are, in some sense "gone". But the truth is they're still around, existing in a society that is separate but real.

I find it really hard to wrap my head around murderers who get letters from strangers, and in some cases this leads to romance and even marriage. Of course, even murderers have friends, and families, and people who love them. But the idea of STARTING such an association with somebody AFTER they've been convicted seems truly bizarre to me.