Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Ken Ho's Fine Foods

Anyone who was in Engineering at U of T will likely remember Ken Ho and his fine food. Ken Ho's Fine Food is the red Chinese food truck that sits outside the engineering building all year and should not be mistaken with the slighly more expensive but better quality food from the silver Chinese food truck up the street at Harbord and St. George. Ken Ho's Fine Food is not so fine.

I succumbed to the red food truck today at lunch. What a bad idea. I had refused to eat there sometime in 1st year (11 years ago!!) after smelling someone's lunch in the common room and had successfully avoided the whole fiasco ever since. I don't know what it was that made me lose my common sense today. It was far and away the most disgusting food I've eaten. I don't know what the "meat" was exactly but let's just say it conjured every negative stereotype of Chinese food. Yuck. I couldn't even finish it -- and I'm not normally too picky.

Why is it that every few years or so, we forget these kinds of life lessons? I shouldn't have to experience Ken Ho to be able to remember that it's a bad idea. It's the same with some fast food .. every few years I eat KFC, get a really bad stomach ache, and move on. I guess, every 11 years or so, I'll need to eat Ken Ho's Fine Foods just as a little reminder. I think next year might be just about time for my escargot reminder...

Talk to you soon,

B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but escargot are good!!

Anonymous said...

I was almost tempted to eat escargot once but just as I was about to stick my fork in, my eating partner added extra encouragement by saying, 'they even cut off the antennae!'. That blew it for me. The image paralysed the palette!

gina